Best method on how to restore Whatsapp messages on new phone
Well, if you are searching for the best method on how to restore Whatsapp messages on new phone, which is probably your new Android Smartphone or iOS Apple iPhone, then you are in the right place. Like we have already said, google drive or iCloud backup must always be on.
If your Google drive backup or iCloud backup option is not activated on your Whatsapp messages/chats or files, then it will be very hard to restore, recover or to transfer your old Whatsapp messages to your new Smartphone. But if it is already backup, simplicity will be the answer.
Well, transferring or restoring your Whatsapp files, messages or chats on your new phone is always possible when there is backup option. However, lets see how you can easily restore Whatsapp messages on new phone, which is either represented as Android to Android, iPhone to iPhone or Android to iPhone or iPhone to Android.
But before we begin, Whatsapp and Google collaborated together to enable that your files are not using the Google storage quota. Anyways, for transferring or restoring Whatsapp messages on new phone, between Android to iPhone or vice versa is only possible using a third-party tool.
Right now, it is easily possible to transfer chats from iOS to Android or Android to iOS. It is a lot different when doing the same thing for a particular OS, Android to Android using Google Drive Backup option or iOS to iOS using iCloud Backup Option.
Table of Interest
How to Backup your Whatsapp chats
To back up to Google Drive on Android, or iCloud on iPhone iOS. Then follow the steps: launch your WhatsApp > tap options > Settings > Chats > Chat backup. You are expected to tap BACK UP to create an immediate backup.
More importantly, tap Backup to Google Drive/iCloud to set a backup frequency, which is either daily, weekly, monthly or yearly. It is advisable to choose the daily option, especially for those that are constantly chatting and in groups.
After that, you are also expected to choose the mobile network you want to use for backup, choose either WiFi or Cellular data option and please note that backing up over a cellular data network might result in additional data charges.
Let me bring your knowledge to the local backup. Whatsapp Local backups are files stored in your phone’s file manager, and they are always created every day at 2:00AM and they’ll be saved as a file in your phone. You can easily restore deleted files from this backup.
How to restore Whatsapp messages on new phone
Assuming that the former Smartphone, either Android or iPhone has its own message or chats backup, then you can easily restore, recover or transfer the former Whatsapp messages to the new phone using the below outlined step by steps guidelines:
1. Launch your new phone
2. Go to the app store and download Whatsapp
3. Install the app, and verify your mobile phone number
4. Allow Whatsapp on everything including your backup option, either Google or iCloud
5. Now if a backup was found, tap on Restore and within few minutes, all of your messages should have appeared on your new device.
Restore Whatsapp messages on new Android phone
This is only possible when you enabled Google Drive backup on your old Android Smartphone. If the former Android phone was stolen with Google drive backup enabled, then you can restore the Whatsapp files or chats with the same number, but if the number is different, please refer to this page.
Using Google Drive Backup
1. Go to Google Playstore, search for Whatsapp and install on your new device
2. Follow the next detail by tapping “Agree And Continue”
3. Now verify your country and phone number
4. Insert the six-digit verification code sent to your phone, or it will automatically integrated
5. Now tap give WhatsApp permission to access and check your Google Drive backup.
6. Tap the account that contains your backup and Tap Restore!
Give it few minutes and your chats will be automatically restored to your new Android Smartphone and you are good to go. Just proceed by tapping Next to continue to the app.
Remember, this above guidelines is the only option available when you lost your former Android Smartphone but you enabled Google Backup option before it was stolen or whatever.
Using Local Backup
But if the former Android Smartphone is still with you, and you want to transfer the chats to the new phone. You can backup all the current chats using Google Drive and follow the above tutorial on your new Android device, which involves installing the app, verifying and restoring.
Anyways, you can also use the local backup. Which includes you using the Local backup and save it on your external file, then simply back up to the SD card and then switch it out of your old phone, and put it into your new Android Smartphone. You can then restore from the SD card to a newly installed WhatsApp on your new phone.
You can find the restoring Whatsapp files using Local files here. After completing the steps in the already aforementioned link, and you don’t have external microSD card, then you can follow the below procedure:
1. Connect your Old phone to your Laptop
2. Now copy the renamed file into your PC desktop
3. Install Whatsapp on your phone, and don’t LAUNCH the app
4. Now the folder WhatsApp / Databases should exist, but if it does not, then you can manually create a new Databases folder in the WhatsApp folder.
5. Copy your renamed WhatsApp conversation backup file into this new folder, WhatsApp / Database
6. After that, launch Whatsapp on your new phone, verify and restore the Whatsapp message backup that was found.
Restore Whatsapp messages on new iPhone
Everything is pretty the same, the only difference is the use of iCloud on Apple’s iOS iPhone and Google Drive on Android device. Just interchange the name and you are good to go.
The above Android lost, stolen or present application doesn’t apply here. Even if your old iPhone has been stolen or got lost, or still with you and it already has the iCloud backup option then you can restore or transfer the Whatsapp messages using one single method:
1. Setup your new iPhone, and that includes signing in to iCloud
2. Go to App store and install Whatsapp
3. Go to iPhone Settings > iCloud > Set iCloud Drive on
4. Scroll down and make sure “WhatsApp” is ON.
5. Follow the prompt, read the T&C and tap “Agree And Continue”
6. As usual, verify your country and phone number
7. Tap “Restore Chat History” and after that tap on next to start using your favorite Instant messaging app, which is WhatsApp.
Unlike Android with local backup, that allows you to backup your Whatsapp chats and save it in the phone file manager, and transfer it either via PC or external microSD card slot to the new phone. This isn’t supported on iPhone devices.
As noted by Whatsapp, when you are backing up your Whatsapp files especially with videos, it will take a longer time. It also applies to restoring or recovering back your Whatsapp messages, it takes longer time, you are advised to connect your phone to a power source.